At no time in history has there been more confusion by marketers at how to successfully perform Internet marketing. There is now an endless number of Internet marketing channels including PPC, SEO, Email, Social Media, Remarketing, Blogging, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Pinterest, Amazon, Yahoo, Google, Bing, affiliate networks, Clickbank, RTB, and the list goes on and on… Even if you are a professional marketer, trying to figure out where and how to advertise on the Internet is a daunting task filled with endless confusion. I hope to end this confusion for you with this blog post.
If you want to be more successful with Internet marketing, stop following the fads and hype and focus your Internet marketing campaigns on one critical thing—on what websites do the majority of your most perfect customers (your niche market) go to the most? The key to successful Internet marketing is to ONLY show your ads to your most perfect target market—the people or businesses who most desperately need what you sell and have the money to purchase it. The thing you don’t want to do is waste time and money advertising on websites your target market does not visit, or rarely visits.
Build a profile of your perfect customer
If you want to be far more successful with your Internet marketing, you need to develop a deep understanding of your most perfect target customers and the websites they visit the most. The old saying of, “Birds of a feather flock together” is a perfect metaphor for how to correctly perform Internet marketing as you will find your perfect target customers are going to be quite similar to each other in age, gender, race, income level, job type, marital status, and hobbies, and therefore, they will favor many of the same websites.
Here are some demographic and psychographic criteria to consider when creating your perfect customer profile:
– What is the age range of your perfect customers? Are they in their teens, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s….? Just based on age, there are big differences in what websites they will favor.
– What is the gender of your perfect customers? Men and women go to different websites.
– What is the race of your most perfect customers? Are they Asian, African American, Hispanic, White, Native American? People favor different websites based on race.
– What is the average income of your perfect customers? Millionaires go to different websites than do the middle class, and the middle class goes to different websites than low income people.
– What is their education level? Are they PhD level? Master’s Degree level? Bachelor’s Degree level? Some college but did not graduate? Tech School? High school only? Dropped out of high school? Education will often determine the websites they favor.
– What is the job type of your perfect customers? Are they college professors? Are they attorneys? Are they CEOs? Are they senior management at Fortune 500 companies? Do they work in health care? Do they work at technology companies? Do they work in retail? Do they work in the hospitality industry? The job a person has can determine the websites they favor the most.
– What are their hobbies and passions? Are they painters? Are they travelers? Are the foodies? Are they gardeners? Are they NASCAR enthusiasts? Do they love antique furniture? Do they love fly fishing? What do they collect? What are they most passionate about? You will find that your best customers most likely share related hobbies and passions. The great thing about the Internet and Internet marketing is that the Internet is full of very topic focused niche websites that cater to every hobby and passion in existence. If you know your perfect customer’s hobbies and passions, advertising on those highly focused niche websites will be a far more successful for generating new leads and customers than if you were to advertise on the more general topic websites that try to be all things to all people.
So, if your perfect customer research shows you that your perfect target customer is a 25-50 year old, male, middle class income, and a computer techie who loves the Linux operating system and spends a lot of time visiting websites that discuss Linux, then you should consider advertising on niche websites that talk about Linux. On the other hand, if your target market is high income women aged 25 – 40 who are obsessed with very expensive designer clothing fashion for women, then you should advertise on websites that discuss expensive designer clothing fashion for women.
Advertise on topic specific niche websites where your perfect customers are found
The key to all of this is you want to focus your Internet advertising where the vast majority of people who make up your perfect customer profile will see it. That usually means advertising on highly topic focused niche websites instead of doing general advertising where the majority of the people who see your ads are the wrong people who will never do business with you.
To find niche websites, Google AdWords provides advertisers with some outstanding tools (The Google Display Planner) for finding and advertising on very topic specific niche websites.
Learn how to use the Google Display Planner to find niche websites that match the interests of your target marketing.
As the majority of adults in the USA have active Facebook accounts, you can also use Facebook’s very powerful advertising targeting tools to only show your ads to people who match your perfect customer profile. You will be amazed at how targeted Facebook’s advertising platform is. It’s amazing!
If you need help with marketing, email me at email@example.com.
To your success!